Have you ever heard that you should eat at certain macronutrient levels (protein, fat and carbohydrates) based off your body type? If you haven’t, it’s something you should really look in to.

(P.S. I did a podcast about this topic, which is at the bottom of this post if you’re interested in listening, rather than reading it all!)

Even though 99% of human’s DNA is the same, that still leaves 1% that’s different. This can lead to some pretty dramatic changes.

It only makes sense that certain people respond differently to carbohydrate and fat intake, as we are all built a little differently.

If you are someone who’s body has a hard time breaking down carbohydrates, you should probably to try avoid eating massive amounts, but at the same time, raise your healthy fat intake. Your body needs energy and most of that is dependent on your fat and carbohydrate intake. When one is high, the other  must be lower. This will avoid having a positive energy balance aka gaining weight….. and remember to keep protein levels relatively the same.

So how do you know what your body type is? Let’s talk about that now.

Let’s start off with the first body type, an Ectomorph, which is the first person in the photograph above. That’s someone who is naturally thin with skinny limbs. They mostly focus on endurance exercise and have a very fast metabolism. Their tolerance to carbohydrates is rather high, and their main goals are often to gain muscle strength and size. For these individuals a diet of 25% protein, 55% carbohydrates and 20% fat seems to be the best option. Since their bodies can use carbohydrates rather well, it’s their best source of energy and you might as well take advantage of that.

The next body type is called a Mesomorph, the middle person in the picture above. They are naturally muscular and athletic.  You will find most bodybuilders in this category. They are testosterone and growth hormone dominant, and have a moderate carbohydrate tolerance. These individuals usually continue to focus on muscle gain, but also add in the desire for a decreased body fat percentage. For these individuals a diet of 30% protein, 40% carbohydrates and 30% fat seems to work best.

The final body type is called and Endomorph.  They are naturally broad and think and tend to focus more on absolute strength exercise. They have a much slower metabolism than the previous two, and have a lower tolerance to carbohydrates. Their goals are primarily to lose body fat, especially in their central region. It appears a diet consisting of 35% protein, 25% carbohydrates and 40% fat works best. They get most of their energy from fat as their body doesn’t respond well to carbohydrates.

Now this may be a little more complex than you were thinking when you decided you wanted to get healthier, but I can tell you from personal experience there is some truth to these ideas. As far as where you fall in personally, take a look at some of the characteristics and see if you can figure it out. You don’t necessarily need to fall into an exact category, as I’ve found I’m between an Ectomorph and Mesomorph… but my body responds best when I keep carbohydrates at least above 50%.

I’ve found that when I eat more fat and lower my carbohydrates, I feel quite sluggish through the workout. I have quite a few friends who are Endomorphs, and they are quite the opposite.

Try giving this a shot and see how you feel. As you probably have already noticed, the amount of calories stays the same throughout this entire article, it’s just which categories you get the specific macronutrient from that matters.

Want some help getting started? Let’s show you what this support is like. I have created a free video to help you get started.  It’s titled the The 5 Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Had To Lose 100 Pounds.   Enter your email and name so I can continue to help you through your journey. Be sure and share this with your friends and family as well, won’t it feel great bringing the ones you love along with you?

Related posts

Leave a Comment